I called her up the night before and got the answer phone. She was probably out, dancing. I said; “All that I have is all that I am, and that would be yours, if it wasn't sacrificed to the cause.” It was better that way because things got confused when I spoke to her.
We didn’t sleep we checked our weapons and went over the plans. Then it was morning and Giacomo gave us the last little words before we strapped up and went out into the world. Down Hope Avenue to the great gates with the pictures of the moon and the God-Rocket. Then the gates exploded and we ran through and the guards who were on our side started shooting the other ones. It was strange to go down the corridors I had seen so many times in photos and videos and architects’ plans.
Everything went to plan until we made it down the last set of staircases and went through the door into the room. Giacomo said it was a large stone room but when I arrived the walls were made of flowers and there was very little space. And I was the only one left.
The man we had come to kill was facing me across a table. He was wearing a red coat and he kept his right hand behind his back. “Hello, Jamie,” he said. “You’ve got me cornered now.”
“Where is everyone? What have you done?” I asked.
“Jamie, I haven’t done anything. What have you done? I was only trying to help.”
“Oppressor,” I spat.
“Well, it’s a shame we can’t get along. I’ll have to send you away again, Jamie. Bad luck.” Then his right hand came out and there was a brilliant light.
This is all I can remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment