Monday, 22 March 2010

XI – Justice

“Wibble-wobble, wibble-wobble, jelly on a plate!” he screamed as he murdered the murderer. He twisted the knife and bellowed and babbled at the just-corpse up on the meat-hook. Later we dined in the Gourmet Burger Kitchen on the Clapham High Street; I had a cheeseburger and he had the buffalo burger, and we both drank Budvar.
“Why did you say that?” I asked as we walked to the Tube station.
“Why did I say what?” he asked and took a packet of Marlboro Lights out of his pocket, offered me one, and we both lit up and smoked.
“That thing about jelly. Back in the meat-locker.”
“Oh that. It doesn’t matter.”
“No, seriously. I have to put that on the assessment.”
“Okay. But do you mind if I tell you in a less public place?”
“Sure. That’s no problem.” Then we took the Tube to Dulwich and walked back to Dave Jackson’s house and sat down on the sofas in the front room and opened a bottle of Grolsch each. 
“So, this jelly business,” I said.
“Yeah. Well, when I was thirty, I had a beautiful wife called Sophie. She was the love of my life. We lived together in a flat in Cardiff, and one day, while I was playing poker with my friends, I got a call from Sophie, telling me to come back to the flat. She sounded terrified, absolutely terrified, so I made my excuses and got back as quickly as I could.
“They put a gun to my head as soon as I opened the door. There were four of them, Beaumont, Maricourt, St-Just and Alphonse de Fontaine. Beaumont was the one who had the gun and Maricourt tied me up. St-Just was just laughing and Sophie was tied up in her underwear on the sofa.” He paused and took a deep breath. “Alphonse had his hands on her breasts, and he was… he was fondling, jiggling them, and singing that jelly on a plate song.”
“Oh,” I said.   
“Then they took turns to rape her and cut her throat afterwards and left me tied to the chair until the police came.”
“Ah,” I said.
“I can still hear her screaming through the gag,” he said. “I can still hear that bastard singing.”
“But he’s dead now,” I said.
“Yes,” he said. “Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment